Posts about Reisu every Monday and Thursday

Friday, March 5, 2010

Research validates a link between language and music

MSNBC discusses some studies of music being linked to language in the brain. This is something that I think we've known for some time.

The anecdotal evidence is all around us. It's often easier to learn something when put to a tune for example. I also had a similar experience learning to read music as I did learning languages. The switch that gets flipped when you realize you're fluent is the same for a language as it is for music. At least, it feels the same for me, and some others who I have spoken with about this.

Similarly, there are even a lot of conlangers who like to use their language for singing. Like American Idol's Alex Lambert, who sings a few lines of a song in his conlang around the beginning of that clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment